What you will be doing:
This business provides general contractor and construction management services for commercial real estate projects. They engage in a range of activities, from new construction, renovations and restorations on commercial buildings. They work exclusively in the commercial and governmental sectors.
COVID-19 hit this business hard. They were forced to reduce their staff and saw many of their projects stall or get shelved. While several new projects are in the pipeline, this business needs help establishing a strategic direction moving forward in order to scale. They have explored entering or focusing on various commercial segments, from petrochemical to school buildings, and need assistance honing in on which markets are feasible and will be most profitable.
The business owner and his team are eager to learn from leading experts about new market expansion strategies in the U.S. construction industry and best practices in strategic planning.
As a Bpeace volunteer Skillanthropist, you will use your expertise in strategic planning and new market expansion strategies to:
- Provide guidance in setting up a short- and long-term strategic plan.
- Help the team develop a new client/market expansion and service strategy.
- Support research into the competitive landscape and industry trends of the U.S. construction sector.
- Analyze the company’s current business model and identify the most viable service offering and potential new markets.
- Support the team in setting up systems and processes to scale.
- Provide validation and feedback on potential projects and growth avenues.
- Develop KPIs and implementation timelines.
- Assist with identifying resources and personnel needed to successfully operate in current construction markets.
- Share best practices, methodologies, and concepts with the leadership team.
The impact of your work will increase the company’s ability to survive and thrive despite the residual effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, so that they can continue to scale and provide job opportunities for the local community.
Over the course of four months you will:
- Provide approximately 4 days of remote consulting advice delivered in time chunks that work with your schedule.
- Validate needs with the company and draft a scope of work. Bpeace staff will facilitate the initial conversations between you and your “client.”
- Advise the company via Zoom video meetings based on a mutually agreed upon schedule.
Black, minority and women-owned businesses, who were already facing systemic and institutional barriers, have been disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. There are more than 30 million small businesses in the U.S., and they are a driving force in its economy. Furthermore, steady employment is a key factor in one’s health, economic wellbeing, and future prospects. Your advice and expertise will help these businesses create jobs and build a stable future for their workers and communities.
Where you will be doing it:
Remotely with a Bpeace staffer facilitating each consulting session to ensure engagement and continuity.
You are qualified if you:
- Have extensive knowledge of strategic planning within the construction industry.
- Ideally have a background as either a construction management executive or an operator of a successful construction business.
- Can apply your experience to helping a rapidly growing company improve their structure and processes and be ready for continued market expansion.
- Enjoy sharing your knowledge in the area of strategic planning.
- Can volunteer approximately 4 days (32 hours) between July and October to be a remote business advisor.
- Harbor passion for business and/or creating jobs in economically fragile areas of the United States.
Starting July 2021
Discovery: 2-4 hours over the first 1-2 weeks
Project Work: 2-4 hours per week for between 8 and 16 weeks (32 hours total)
Follow-up: 1 hour a month for up to 4 months
Please note that this is a volunteer opportunity.