What you will be doing:
This third-generation family business manufactures and distributes over the counter products and hospital supplies, including hand sanitizer and hospital-grade antiseptic products. They have grown significantly in the last two years due to increased demands for their products.
This business seeks to expand their exports to medical products and supplies, in addition to their hand sanitizer, and is especially interested in selling to public and private hospitals, medical centers, and other medical facilities in the U.S.
The business owners have made significant investments in their manufacturing process and the leadership team is ready to learn from international experts who can help them scale in the U.S.
As a Bpeace volunteer Skillanthropist, you will use your market expansion experience in the hospital and medical sectors to:
- Help the leadership team better understand the U.S. market for hospital and medical supplies, including providing knowledge about and conducting an analysis of the major suppliers/competitors and major buyers/hospital networks.
- Conduct a review of the company’s current product offerings and help determine which are best positioned to be competitive in the U.S. market.
- Review and provide input on product prices and support the team in determining a competitive pricing strategy for the U.S. market.
- Help develop a U.S. go-to-market entry strategy, including planning for FDA/regulatory approval and sales strategy.
The impact of your work will help the company continue to grow so they can continue to create jobs that provide dignity as well as economic stability to their workers and community as a powerful alternative to violence.
Over the course of four months, you will:
- Validate needs with the company and draft a scope of work. Bpeace staff will facilitate the initial conversations between you and your “client.”
- Provide approximately 4 days of remote consulting advice delivered via weekly Zoom calls of approximately 2 hours each (preferably the same day/time each week), based on a schedule agreed upon between you and the business.
- On the final call, develop a Forward Action Plan in collaboration with the business with clear next steps.
More jobs are critical in El Salvador right now to help stem the flow of irregular migration. Small and medium businesses account for 60% of the economy. Steady employment provides legitimate alternatives for Salvadorans who would otherwise migrate or pursue illegal activities and gangs. Your advice and expertise will help these businesses create jobs and build a stable future for their workers and communities.
Where you will be doing it:
Remotely with a Bpeace staffer facilitating each consulting session to ensure engagement and continuity.
You are qualified if you:
- Have extensive knowledge of market expansion and sales in the U.S. hospital supply market.
- Can apply your experience to helping a company develop a go-to-market strategy targeting U.S. hospitals and other medical institutions.
- Enjoy sharing your knowledge of the hospital and medical sectors in the U.S.
- Can volunteer approximately 4 days between December and February to be a remote business advisor.
- Harbor passion for business and/or creating jobs in economically fragile El Salvador.
Starting December 2021
Discovery: 2-4 hours over the first 1-2 weeks
Project Work: 2-4 hours per week for between 8 and 16 weeks (32 hours total)
Follow-up: 1 hour a month for up to 4 months
Please email us if you are interested in this volunteer opportunity!