What you will be doing:
This business offers seamless general contracting services for any commercial or residential client space. Their business model is designed to provide and manage every aspect of the project from start to finish, saving clients from having to hire and manage multiple entities. Within the general contracting space, this firm specializes in residential kitchen design and implementation.
The business experienced setbacks during the COVID-19 pandemic and reduced their team size. Business is picking up again and they have residential projects booked out for months and are working to scale into larger commercial projects. With a lean team and no standardized processes, the company is not operating with the efficiency it needs to in order to scale. Their goal is to increase efficiency, streamline processes, ensure project consistency, and provide the leadership team with more time to focus on strategic development.
The leadership team is eager to learn from leading industry experts about best practices in process optimization and time management.
As a Bpeace volunteer Skillanthropist, you will use your expertise in process improvement to:
- Analyze the company’s current operational processes, including project flow and back-office systems.
- Support the team in standardizing and codifying processes to maximize time and profit.
- Determine where there are gaps in communication flow to increase organizational fluidity.
- Assist with creating scalable processes that will remain effective as the company continues to grow.
- Share best practices, methodologies and concepts with the leadership team.
The impact of your work will increase the company’s ability to scale efficiently so that they can continue to provide job opportunities for the local community.
Over the course of four months you will:
- Provide approximately 4 days of remote consulting advice delivered in time chunks that work with your schedule.
- Validate needs with the company and draft a scope of work. Bpeace staff will facilitate the initial conversations between you and your “client.”
- Advise the company via Zoom video meetings based on a mutually agreed upon schedule.
Black, minority and women-owned businesses, who were already facing systemic and institutional barriers, have been disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. There are more than 30 million small businesses in the U.S., and they are a driving force in its economy. Furthermore, steady employment is a key factor in one’s health, economic wellbeing, and future prospects. Your advice and expertise will help these businesses create jobs and build a stable future for their workers and communities.
Where you will be doing it:
Remotely with a Bpeace staffer facilitating each consulting session to ensure engagement and continuity.
You are qualified if you:
- Have extensive knowledge of operational process in the construction industry.
- Can apply your experience to helping a rapidly growing company improve their operations and be ready for continued market expansion.
- Enjoy sharing your knowledge in the area of operational efficiency and scalable processes.
- Can volunteer approximately 4 days (32 hours) between July and October to be a remote business advisor.
- Harbor passion for business and/or creating jobs in economically fragile areas of the United States.
Starting July 2021
Discovery: 2-4 hours over the first 1-2 weeks
Project Work: 2-4 hours per week for between 8 and 16 weeks (32 hours total)
Follow-up: 1 hour a month for up to 4 months
Please note that this is a volunteer opportunity.