Process Improvement Expert
Before this business can grow, and create more jobs for Salvadorans, they first need to address process improvement.
The father and son team initially focused on printing services and their innovation and persistence helped grow the business. Twenty years later they have expanded into corrugated box production and employ more than 240 Salvadorans.
The team recognizes that process improvement opportunities will enhance operational efficiency and that they need lower operating expenses before pursuing expansion. They operate in a competitive market that is subject to increases in paper prices. Improving efficiency is paramount to maintaining the jobs they currently provide. Helping the company grow will create new job opportunities throughout the Central American region.
You will use your process improvement experience to reduce operating expenses, eliminate waste and establish operational efficiency. The impact of your work will identify revenue-generating expansion opportunities. Your knowledge and skills will help this dynamic team accelerate growth and create jobs that provide dignity as well as economic stability as a powerful alternative to violence.
Over the course of five months you will:
- Provide approximately 12 days of consulting advice both remotely and in person.
- Initially communicate remotely to shape and start implementing a scope of work. Bpeace staff will stimulate the initial conversations between you and your “client.”
- Subsequently travel to El Salvador for several days to work with the leadership team.
More jobs are critical in El Salvador right now to help stem the flow of irregular migration. Small and medium businesses account for 60% of the economy. Steady employment provides legitimate alternatives for Salvadorans who would otherwise migrate, or pursue illegal activities and gangs. Your advice and expertise will help these businesses create jobs and build a stable future for their workers and communities.
- What you will be doing A family-owned corrugated and printed box manufacturer needs to improve profitability by reducing expenses and eliminating waste.
- Where you will be doing it El Salvador
- You are qualified if you
- Can apply your extensive knowledge of process improvement in the printing and/or packaging industry.
- Possess prior experience in lowering cost, reducing waste, and enhancing operational efficiency.
- Can volunteer approximately 12 days in 2019 to be a remote and in-person business advisor.
- Have international experience in business expansion and working with multinational companies.
- Harbor a passion for business, creating jobs in economically fragile El Salvador.
- When Starting April 2019
- Discovery 8 hours remotely by Skype, Zoom or WhatsApp
- Field Work 5 days in El Salvador
- Follow-up 8 hours a month for up to 6 months
- How much will it cost you?
Tax-deductible membership contribution to Bpeace (starting at $10 a month).
- Some travel costs (Bpeace pays for your airfare and hotel).