Process Efficiency Expert
This women-led family business manufactures and distributes personal and home care products including anti-bacterial liquid soap, body wash and shampoo, and laundry detergent. Their primary distribution channel is through Central American-based multi-national supermarket chains.
COVID has increased demand for the company’s core products and the company’s growth to meet this demand has revealed significant production and operational challenges as well as opportunities for product development and exports. This is a key time for their business to position themselves as a leader in the sector.
The leadership team consists of a husband and wife couple who are eager to learn from leading industry experts about best practices in manufacturing efficiency and operational excellence.
As a Bpeace volunteer Skillanthropist, you will use your expertise in process improvement to:
- Analyze the company’s current production processes and facilities.
- Support the team’s efforts to redesign their production processes and facility layout that will support their long-term growth objectives.
- Diagnose and prioritize efficiency opportunities across their manufacturing facility, implementing a continuous improvement program via Lean or Six Sigma methodologies. The goal is to improve operations, quality and efficiencies as well as identify cost improvements.
- Share best practices, methodologies, and concepts (such as the use of KPIs) with the leadership team.
- The impact of your work will increase sales so that Salvadorans can create jobs that provide dignity as well as economic stability as a powerful alternative to violence.
Over the course of three months you will:
- Provide approximately 5 days of remote consulting advice delivered in time chunks that work with your schedule.
- Validate needs with the company and draft a scope of work. Bpeace staff will facilitate the initial conversations between you and your “client.”
- Advise the company via Zoom video meetings based on a mutually agreed upon schedule.
More jobs are critical in El Salvador right now to help stem the flow of irregular migration. Small and medium businesses account for 60% of the economy. Steady employment provides legitimate alternatives for Salvadorans who would otherwise migrate, or pursue illegal activities and gangs. Your advice and expertise will help these businesses create jobs and build a stable future for their workers and communities.
- What you will be doing Consult remotely for a women-led family-owned Salvadoran business that manufactures and distributes personal and home care products including anti-bacterial liquid soap, body wash and shampoo and laundry detergent. Their primary distribution channel is through Central American-based multi-national supermarket chains.
- Where you will be doing it Remotely to El Salvador with a Bpeace staffer facilitating each consulting session.
- You are qualified if you
- Have extensive knowledge of manufacturing and process improvement experience, preferably in the personal or home care product industry.
- Can apply your experience to helping a rapidly growing company improve their operations and be ready for continued market expansion.
- Enjoy sharing your knowledge in the area of operational strategy and efficiency.
- Can volunteer approximately 5 days (40 hours) between November and March to be a remote business advisor.
- Harbor passion for business and/or creating jobs in economically fragile El Salvador.
- When Starting November 2020
- Commitment Please note that this is a volunteer opportunity.
- Discovery 2-4 hours over the first 1-2 weeks
- Project Work 2-4 hours per week for between 8 and 16 weeks (32 hours total)
- Follow-up 1 hour a month for up to 4 months