What you will be doing:
This company was established in 1974 after the founder, while attending the Partners for Progress Expo in Berlin, realized the potential for Salvadoran hand-made hammocks in the global market. She has since given local artisans a platform from which they can export their products. The company showcases their hammocks and hammock chairs at international tradeshows, primarily in Europe, and attributes their success to the quality and innovation of their designs and their trusted group of Salvadoran artisans.
Although the company has successfully established sales channels in the U.S., Germany, France and elsewhere, their expansion goals include a greater emphasis on direct-to-consumer sales, particularly for the U.S. market. To achieve this, they need to develop an improved marketing strategy and brand position. They want to improve how they communicate their story and the story of their artisans to potential customers.
This mother-daughter leadership team is eager to learn best practices from leading experts in the in the development of their branding and marketing strategies.
As a Bpeace volunteer Skillanthropist, you will use your marketing and branding experience to:
- Help the leadership team develop their ideal brand positioning, taking into consideration their value proposition, product characteristics, their target audience, and competition from Chinese and other Latin American producers.
- Analyze who their target audience should be as they shift from B2B to direct-to-consumer sales.
- Advise on the development of a comprehensive marketing strategy including messaging (brand, logo, tagline), content marketing, advertising placement and pricing.
The impact of your work will help the company improve their brand visibility and increase sales so they can continue to create jobs that provide dignity as well as economic stability to their workers, artisan suppliers and community as a powerful alternative to violence.
Over the course of four months, you will:
- Provide approximately 4 days of remote consulting advice delivered via weekly calls of approximately 2 hours each (preferably the same day/time each week), based on a schedule agreed upon between you and the business.
- Validate needs with the company and draft a scope of work. Bpeace staff will facilitate the initial conversations between you and your “client.”
More jobs are critical in El Salvador right now to help stem the flow of irregular migration. Small and medium businesses account for 60% of the economy. Steady employment provides legitimate alternatives for Salvadorans who would otherwise migrate or pursue illegal activities and gangs. Your advice and expertise will help these businesses create jobs and build a stable future for their workers and communities.
Where you will be doing it:
Remotely with a Bpeace staffer facilitating each consulting session to ensure engagement and continuity.
You are qualified if you:
- Have extensive knowledge of branding, brand positioning and marketing strategy development for retail products.
- Can apply your experience to evaluating and enhancing an existing brand and help reposition a company to target a new client segment.
- Enjoy sharing your knowledge and best practices of how to communicate brand messages to potential customers.
- Can volunteer approximately 4 days between July and November to be a remote business advisor.
Starting July 2021
Discovery: 2-4 hours over the first 1-2 weeks
Project Work: 2-4 hours per week for up to 10 weeks (32 hours total)
Follow-up: 1 hour a month for up to 4 months
Please note that this is a volunteer opportunity.