What you will be doing:
This business specializes in powering commercial, residential, and multifamily properties with safe and clean energy. From roofing and window services to storm damage restoration, they are active participants in the green roof initiative. Their model is predicated on utilizing insurance payments to reduce energy and project costs for the consumer.
This business has struggled to generate their pre-COVID-19 level of revenue and are struggling with their cash flow. To reduce costs, they are aiming to bring their construction team, that was previously subcontracted out, in-house so they can cut labor costs and increase their level of consistency and excellence on projects. To do so will entail recruiting and hiring the right talent, as well as developing training and management programs.
The leadership team is eager to learn from leading industry experts about best practices related to human resources.
As a Bpeace volunteer Skillanthropist, you will use your expertise in human resources to:
- Analyze the company’s current hiring and onboarding processes.
- Support the team in recruiting and hiring new technical talent.
- Assist with the creation of a training framework for new employees.
- Develop a strategic human resources plan.
- Work alongside the CEO to devise management tools for in-house labor.
- Share best practices, methodologies, and concepts with the leadership team.
The impact of your work will increase the company’s ability to cut costs and thrive, and allow them to continue to provide job opportunities for the local community.
Over the course of four months you will:
- Provide approximately 4 days of remote consulting advice delivered in time chunks that work with your schedule.
- Validate needs with the company and draft a scope of work. Bpeace staff will facilitate the initial conversations between you and your “client.”
- Advise the company via Zoom video meetings based on a mutually agreed upon schedule.
Black, minority and women-owned businesses, who were already facing systemic and institutional barriers, have been disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. There are more than 30 million small businesses in the U.S., and they are a driving force in its economy. Furthermore, steady employment is a key factor in one’s health, economic wellbeing, and future prospects. Your advice and expertise will help these businesses create jobs and build a stable future for their workers and communities.
Where you will be doing it:
Remotely with a Bpeace staffer facilitating each consulting session to ensure engagement and continuity.
You are qualified if you:
- Have extensive knowledge of bringing talent in-house within the construction industry. Ideally, have a background in HR within a large renewables or construction company.
- Can apply your experience to helping a rapidly growing company develop their strategic human resources plan.
- Enjoy sharing your knowledge in the area of talent management and scalable processes.
- Can volunteer approximately 4 days (32 hours) between July and October to be a remote business advisor.
- Harbor passion for business and/or creating jobs in economically fragile areas of the United States.
Starting July 2021
Discovery: 2-4 hours over the first 1-2 weeks
Project Work: 2-4 hours per week for between 8 and 16 weeks (32 hours total)
Follow-up: 1 hour a month for up to 4 months
Please note that this is a volunteer opportunity.