EXPERT IN NOSTALGIC FOOD PRODUCTS FOR U.S. MARKET ENTRY
This popsicle and ice cream manufacturer has established a strong presence in El Salvador and neighboring Central American countries. Additionally, a small portion of their sales are to small U.S. based Latin American food stores catering to the nostalgic market.
The company recently purchased new equipment and is seeking to expand their product lines to include dry and packaged foods under their own and private label brands. Their primary growth goal is focused on developing an export growth strategy to increase their sales volume in the U.S. nostalgic market.
The leadership team has strong exporting experience and is eager to learn from international experts on market expansion strategies for the U.S. nostalgic market.
As a Bpeace volunteer Skillanthropist, you will use your experience developing market expansion strategies in the U.S. nostalgic food industry to:
- Help the team develop a market expansion and product development strategy.
- Support research into the competitive landscape and market trends of the U.S. nostalgic foods sector for both the current and future states (5-10 years out).
- Engage the team to create a U.S. market study to understand the most viable product categories in the dry and packaged foods and private labels
- The impact of your work will increase sales so that Salvadorans can create jobs that provide dignity as well as economic stability as a powerful alternative to violence.
Over the course of three months you will:
- Provide approximately 5 days of remote consulting advice delivered in time chunks that work with your schedule.
- Validate needs with the company and draft a scope of work. Bpeace staff will facilitate the initial conversations between you and your “client.”
- Advise the company via Zoom video meetings based on a mutually agreed upon schedule.
More jobs are critical in El Salvador right now to help stem the flow of irregular migration. Small and medium businesses account for 60% of the economy. Steady employment provides legitimate alternatives for Salvadorans who would otherwise migrate, or pursue illegal activities and gangs. Your advice and expertise will help these businesses create jobs and build a stable future for their workers and communities.
- What you will be doing Consult remotely for a women-led Salvadoran business. This popsicle and ice cream manufacturer has established a strong presence in El Salvador and neighboring Central American countries. Additionally, a small portion of their sales are to small U.S. based Latin American food stores catering to the nostalgic market.
- Where you will be doing it Remotely to El Salvador with a Bpeace staffer facilitating each consulting session.
- You are qualified if you
- Have extensive knowledge of the U.S. food market, preferably with knowledge of the nostalgic/ethnic food sub-sector.
- Can apply your experience to developing and implementing a market development and expansion strategy.
- Enjoy sharing your knowledge of the U.S. food industry and marketing strategies for the nostalgic food market.
- Can volunteer approximately 5 days (40 hours) between November and March to be a remote business advisor.
- Harbor passion for business and/or creating jobs in economically fragile El Salvador.
- When Starting November 2020
- Commitment Please note that this is a volunteer opportunity.
- Discovery 2-4 hours over the first 1-2 weeks
- Project Work 2-4 hours per week for between 8 and 16 weeks (32 hours total)
- Follow-up 1 hour a month for up to 4 months