WE ARE HIRING:
Chief Program Officer (CPO)
Report to: CEO
Base Location: Remote, North America-based (Eastern Time Zone)
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) is responsible for the overall quality and impact of all Bpeace programs that help small and medium-sized business owners expand their businesses and create jobs. This includes embodying Bpeace’s values and culture, leading program design for multiple countries and securing financial and talent resources to deliver on Bpeace’s theory of change and strategy. The CPO tracks changes in the external environment and then collaborates with the CEO to identify the need for Bpeace’s programs and services in new countries, and the revenue streams, partners, services and processes associated with program delivery.
Program and impact
- Responsible for delivering Bpeace’s impact: creating jobs in crisis-affected communities.
- Refine Bpeace’s program service-delivery models to small and medium-sized businesses and keep them relevant, impactful and proprietary.
- Work with the program team to design new programs as required and branding them with the CEO and Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
- Work with Country Directors, Program Mangers/Leads and International Program Director, to ensure standardization and quality of current programming, taking local context into account.
- Create the organization’s impact measurement strategy and manage the Impact Manager and the rest of the program team to implement.
- Oversight of the program team to deliver contextually relevant, exceptional quality services to Fast Runners.
- Define high level program communications strategy with CAO and marketing lead; oversight of Country Directors/Country Managers and International Program Director to implement at local level.
Advocacy, funder/partner engagement
- Collaborate with the CEO to identify, secure and grow strategically critical regional and global partner/funder relationships.
- Support Country Directors to identify, secure and manage local partner/funder relationships.
- Identify and participate in external organization, associations and positioning opportunities to build Bpeace’s reputation with stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the CEO, develop the country, program and funder strategy and overall program budget for the annual strategic plan, including any expansion to new countries, new program service models, revenue streams and new partners; develop country level strategies and implementation plans to ensure impactful program delivery.
- Refine Fast Runner (small and medium-sized businesses) recruitment criteria and strategies. Lead Fast Runner selection decisions.
- Collaborate with CAO to set strategy and jointly lead recruitment activities for executive level/specialist Skillanthropists. This includes supporting staff who are deployed to execute strategies as needed.
- Collaborate with CAO to define requirements for generalist Skillanthropist recruitment.
- Act as Country Director, taking on country level strategic responsibilities where a Country Director is not in place (small or new country operations).
- Engage with/provide information to the Board as required by direction of the CEO.
Compliance and systems
- Lead program budget design in collaboration with International Program Director and Country Directors as needed.
- Ensure team compliance and excellence with Salesforce and all program financial management processes and funder/partner/donor reporting requirements; work with CAO to ensure systems and processes are in place.
- Ensure that program delivery processes are current, efficient, standardized and deliver impact.
Culture and team
- Manage the program function in line with Bpeace culture and values and ensure development opportunities and career progression for team members; clarify roles and recruit new team members for effective succession at all levels.
- Assure that the culture, policies and processes within the program function foster diversity, equity and inclusion amongst team members, Skillanthropists and Fast Runners.
- Monitor the efficacy of processes and communication in place between the program team and Bpeace HQ staff.
- Responsible for own development and supporting the development of others.
- Business, Nonprofit and Cultural Knowledge: Serves as an advisor to staff in cultivating, leveraging, and applying broad business knowledge, nonprofit experience, and cultural awareness/sensitivity to decisions and recommendations.
- Strategic Systems Thinking: Understands program interdependencies and aligns with the broader organization. Provides input in defining and articulating the future state and strategic direction of Bpeace programs.
- Innovative Thinking and Problem Solving: Demonstrates and fosters innovation and creativity; encourages and supports team members to rise above the status quo and aim for more efficiency and impact.
- Strengthens the Community: Develops and maintains relationships across Bpeace stakeholders including Fast Runners, Skillanthropist volunteers, Board Directors, corporate partners and major donors.
- Build Relationships: Builds, maintains and leverages a broad network of external relationships including influencers, potential funder/partners, and thought leaders.
- Select, Manage, and Develop Talent: Selects and identifies passionate talent. Implements and encourages an environment that fosters learning and growth; demonstrating a commitment to train, coach, and develop talent. Establishes clear and challenging performance expectations, demonstrates an understanding of own and others’ strengths and weaknesses actively working to develop self and others.
- Motivate, Empower, and Lead Talent: Inspires team to action by promoting ownership, independent decision-making and collaboration. Leverages understanding of others’ preferences, interests, and abilities to drive motivation, while ensuring they have the necessary skills, knowledge, and/or resources to succeed.
- Skillanthropist Volunteer Respect: Recognizes, appreciates, encourages, and values the contributions of Skillanthropist volunteers in ensuring Bpeace’s success.
- Drives Results, Impact, and Long-Term Growth: Fosters a results-oriented culture focused on quality, performance, impact, and scalability. Makes recommendations and critical decisions based on strategic objectives and long-term growth.
- Operational Excellence: Maintains oversight of programs and teams; negotiating, prioritizing, and aligning resources, timelines, budget and streamlined processes to ensure seamless implementation.
- Communication: Fosters an environment that encourages open, honest, and direct communication.
- Flexible and Adaptable: Serves as a model for managing competing demands, quickly adapting to shifting priorities, and maintaining flexibility in new situations.
- Curiosity and Learning: Models a strong desire to learn; demonstrating openness and curiosity about new businesses, cultures, systems and processes. Develops, maintains, and encourages protocols to capture and share learning and knowledge.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Actively fosters a collaborative remote team creating a sense of shared ownership for processes and programs.
- Must operate at the level of a growth-oriented and transformational leader.
- Must have demonstrated experience managing a high-performing global team including professional development.
- Must be a strong relationship builder with the ability to find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Must have a proven track record of successfully managing multiple programs or projects serving entrepreneurs, small and medium-size businesses.
- Must be able to travel internationally.
Education / Qualifications
- Commitment to Bpeace’s mission and values.
- Masters or other advanced degree.
- Comprehensive knowledge of program design, organizational structure, budgeting, administrative operations, and donor landscape.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning and reporting purposes.
- Ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a fast-paced, outcomes-driven and entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. You can express yourself fluently and precisely, both verbally and in writing, and differentiate nuanced meaning in complex situations. Fluency in English and Spanish is a plus.
- Five (5)+ years of leadership experience in a nonprofit, government or business overseeing multiple programs serving small and medium businesses.
- Five (5)+ years of experience directly supervising a team of at least three people who each manage multiple functions.
Physical / Environmental Conditions
- With headquarters based in the U.S., Bpeace is a remote organization, no office is provided.
- The majority of your day is spent utilizing a computer and technology to communicate with international Bpeace staff, Fast Runner businesses and Skillanthropist volunteers.
- Frequent regional travel, occasional international.
Remote Technical Requirements
Your office system must have:
- A computer with a functioning web camera that supports the most recent stable version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Edge Chromium and Microsoft Office License.
- Consistent access to a reliable hi-speed Internet connection. (Network latency of 100 ms or less. Minimum upload speed of 10 Mbps. Minimum download speed of 50-100 Mbps.)
- Minimum 8 GB of RAM.
Jobs…creating jobs…preserving jobs. The Business Council for Peace (Bpeace) is an award-winning nonprofit working in crisis-affected communities to grow small and medium-size businesses, create significant employment for all, and expand the economic power of women. More jobs mean less violence.®
Bpeace is a 501(C)3 nonprofit with a $1.5+ budget, operating across several countries. More than 400 business volunteers contribute volunteer time valued at $3 million. Annually, we are advising 150 small businesses in the U.S., El Salvador, Guatemala, that employ 15,000 individuals and support 50,000+ families. More than 60% of the businesses in our portfolio are women owned or led.
Bpeace has operated since 2002, we are proud to consistently earn 5 stars on GreatNonprofits. We maintain a stellar reputation among our donors and partners, both corporate and nonprofit. We have a talented and motivated staff, an engaged Board of Directors and volunteer Skillanthropists from 14 countries.
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining 1) relevant experience; 2) why you are the best candidate for the position; 3) compensation requirements. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified candidates should apply.
Bpeace is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all applicants and teammates. We recruit, develop and retain talent excited about building a community where we're all proud to belong.