WE ARE HIRING:
BPEACE FINANCE MANAGER
This is a U.S.-based part-time, remote, independent contractor position.
You will provide finance management for a small and growing international nonprofit that works both in the U.S. and in emerging markets with small businesses and volunteers focused on job creation, economic development, and women’s economic empowerment.
The Finance Manager is an important position providing critical accounting and reporting that allows Bpeace’s leadership to operate within our budget, make informed decisions, report to donors, and comply with the requirements of an outside independent audit.
As Bpeace expands, you will build on and manage effective, streamlined financial systems to support Bpeace’s operations and growth. With technology, we aim for continuous improvement and streamlining in our bookkeeping, donor tracking, and reporting. We seek an experienced nonprofit finance manager who is tech savvy and with the desire to improve, innovate and provide superior management of our accounting and reporting systems.
Jobs…creating jobs…preserving jobs. The Business Council for Peace (Bpeace) is an award-winning nonprofit working in crisis-affected communities to grow small and medium-size businesses, create significant employment for all, and expand the economic power of women. More jobs mean less violence.®
Bpeace is a 501(C)3 nonprofit with a $1.5+ budget, operating across several countries. More than 400 business volunteers contribute volunteer time valued at $3 million. Annually, we are advising 150 small businesses in the U.S., El Salvador, Guatemala, that employ 15,000 individuals and support 50,000+ families. More than 60% of the businesses in our portfolio are women owned or led.
Bpeace has operated since 2002, we are proud to consistently earn 5 stars on GreatNonprofits. We maintain a stellar reputation among our donors and partners, both corporate and nonprofit. We have a talented and motivated staff, an engaged Board of Directors and volunteer Skillanthropists from 14 countries.
The Finance Manager maintains Bpeace’s accounting records for donations and expenses using QuickBooks Online, organizes and retains paper documentation files to support the annual external audit and preparation of financial statements and tax return. The Finance Manager reports to Bpeace’s Chief Admin Officer, and interacts with the CEO, Bpeace staff and contractors, and our outside auditor.
- General Ledger (GL): In QuickBooks, manage bank and general ledger reconciliations, ensuring accuracy in general ledger, preparing the trial balance, and performing month-end closings.
- Accounts Payable: In QuickBooks, match digital copies of invoices paid with bank transactions and properly assign GL/Class codes. Deconstruct statements from American Express and Upwork to properly code in QuickBooks.
- Accounts Receivable: In QuickBooks, perform coding, entering, processing of income including printed checks, ACH, wire transfer and credit card transactions through Stripe. Work with Program Managers who lead grant/contract implementation to track A/R and incorporate into cash flow. Alert Program or Volunteer Managers to failed credit card transactions for follow-up.
- Coding and Grant/Contract Tracking. Work with Bpeace leadership to define GL and class codes that match with annual budget and donor grants and contracts. Perform proper tracking of all transactions.
- Payroll: Review payroll reporting through Paychex and monitor their compliance with various state withholdings.
- Reporting: Prepare and monitor cash flow forecast and financial projections. Prepare a variety of ad hoc reports and financial scenarios as requested. Responsible for advising the senior team of financial projections and cash flow on a timely basis.
- Audit: On a monthly basis, maintain paper and digital duplicates of specified back-up of transactions for the outside independent auditor.
- Loans. Monitor requirements for PPP and SBA loan payback and ensure Bpeace’s compliance.
- Insurance. Ensure Bpeace is current with all policies and payments.
- Donations. Extract reports from a variety of donation platforms, ensure accurate entry of revenue to Quickbooks, work closely with CAO on monthly reconciliation of Salesforce and Quickbooks.
- Based in the U.S.
- Proficiency in English.
- 5+ years of bookkeeping/ accounting experience, including strong working knowledge of GAAP, internal control and financial reporting
- 3+ years of nonprofit accounting experience including project/program tracking, donor tracking, etc.
- 3+ years using QuickBooks Online, including technical capability involving automated interfaces (credit cards, banks, etc.).
- Experience in working with an outside auditor, preferably for nonprofit audits.
- Proficiency with MS Excel and other MS Office applications.
Bpeace core COMPETENCIES
- Comfortable working remotely on Zoom and Slack with little to no interaction in person with the rest of the Bpeace team.
- Adapts well to new technologies.
- Able to communicate to a global standard in all aspects of work, written, presentation, face to face, remote, in line with the Bpeace values.
- Self-directed with attention to deadlines, detail, and accuracy.
- Adaptable to change in a fast-moving environment.
- Able to develop, implement and monitor processes and best practice.
- Highly sensitive to colleague culture, nuance, and personal circumstances.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining 1) relevant experience; 2) where you are based in the U.S. and dayparts and times you are available to work; 3) why you are the best candidate for the position. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified candidates should apply.
Bpeace is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all applicants and teammates. We recruit, develop and retain talent excited about building a community where we're all proud to belong.