Posted on 10 January 2012
by Alexis Priddy
As Bpeace enters our 10th year in 2012, we are striving for "more, more, more." Here is our game plan:
1. More Salvadoran Fast Runners. We entered El Salvador in mid-2011, and we now have 8 Fast Runners with the addition of a call center, a social media marketing firm, a high-end baby clothes manufacturer and a shoe manufacturer Herbert of Group GW (see him above). Our goal is to reach 25 Fast Runners by the end of 2012.
2. More Afghan Fast Runners. We just reviewed 140 applications and will accept 12 male and female Fast Runner entrepreneurs into our program. New industries for us include film and animation companies; solar panel installers; and a for-profit vocational school. We will also onboard Fast Runners in industries we know: business consulting; IT and web design; shoe and furniture manufacturing; and beauty salon services.
3. More jobs created. Bpeace doesn't create jobs--our Fast Runners do. We are conducting the 2012 census of Fast Runners. Stay tuned for survey results.
4. More communities. In January 2012, we expanded into Herat, Afghanistan. And later in 2012 in El Salvador, we will expand beyond San Salvador and Santa Tecla. We will also conduct due diligence on a 4th country to enter.
5. More members. Every Fast Runner needs a Bpeace bench of about 7 members. Among them are Bpeacers who refer experts from their network; members who contribute ideas on calls; members who perform skill-based tasks virtually; Advocates who source knowledge for an individual Fast Runner; Traveling Mentors who invest time in the field; and members who cheerlead and spread the word. Since we expect that 2012 will be actively assisting 50 Fast Runners in our portfolio, we need to grow our membership by at least 15%.
6. More Road Trips to the U.S. Two groups of Afghan Fast Runners will visit with Host Companies in April and October. The U.S. Department of State provides financial support for these trips by Afghans. Because El Salvador is only four hours away, Salvadoran Fast Runners will travel to the U.S. individually.
7. More Host Companies. To date, nearly 100 U.S. companies have hosted Fast Runners--including 37 in 2011 alone. We will be recruiting at least 50 host companies for the 30 Fast Runners coming to the U.S. in 2012.
8. More expeditions to the field. Bpeace consulting teams are scheduled to travel to El Salvador on a rolling basis this year. We expect that at least 8 teams in all will travel to El Salvador this year. Security permitting, a training team will travel in December to either Mazar, Herat or Dubai.
9. More corporate partnerships. We ended 2011 with 2 new partners--Citibank and Goldman Sachs' 10,000 Women. Bpeace Executive Council member Mojdeh Barros is developing corporate outreach strategies so that every Bpeace member has a pitch toolkit at the ready.
10. More engagement with the U.S. Department of State. In 2011 we received a $434,000 grant for our next 2 years of activities in Afghanistan. In May and November, we will be attending State Department Global Professional Fellows Congress events in Washington, DC with representatives from 40 other countries.
11. More Growth Guides. Bpeace practical training workbooks are authored by Bpeace experts and provide an interactive experience that receive rave reviews from Fast Runners. This year we will launch Growth Guides in "Partnership," "Lean Manufacturing," "Fast Runner Finance" and "Family Business Succession."
12. More Board members. We welcome Anne Glauber, Managing Director, Finn Partners, back to the Board of Directors. In 2002 at the UN in Geneva, Anne planted the seed that grew into Bpeace. We also welcome Michael Strong, the lead author of Be the Solution: How Entrepreneurs and Conscious Capitalists Can Solve Al the World's Problems, co-authored with John Mackey, Muhammad Yunus and others. We will recruit 2 more Directors who have the skills to advance our vision and who can deliver on a $10,000 minimum give or get.
13. More money. Because of $500,000 worth of donated member/volunteer time annually, Bpeace is very efficient. But cash is still queen when it comes to hiring and retaining the talented staff we need to scale the organization. We will ramp up our efforts to expand our relationships with current donors, pursue new grants, and court philanthropists who share our goals.
14. More celebrations. 2012 is Bpeace's 10th Anniversary year. We will hold a GALA CELEBRATION on November 1 or 2. The Bpeace Young Professionals are planning a May or June event.
More health and happiness to you and your family this year.